Friday, February 27, 2015

Compilation Poem for 2/26/15 by the Writers of SFYS



Now, let me get lyrical:
Being a girl is complicated,
Like there’s needles in your lungs,
Black, bitter, gleaming, and hard.
We forgot about the teddy bears,
Glass jars, and fireflies,
But after hours of this torture
it all starts over again;
Only a mother knows.
I was having a conversation with my mom at one in the morning.
Ask questions, ask questions, ask questions!
What is that? Who is he?
I just don’t see what’s so great about him.
No bishop would help him with an electric bill,
And it’s like you never needed me.
I’m not strong enough to drag myself up;
How does one will to rise?
They tell me I can’t do it--
I’ll waste away my body and my money.
We all know who’s at fault here—
I need an excuse.
Maybe I’ll just give up halfway through.
Is it OK if I sing when I’m nervous?
Did you just call me a unicorn?
You can be anything you want to be,
But I smell like my father;
I am an apparition
So full of certainties, agency, chain mail made of lies,
Watermelon seeds on white paint,
Deflated broccoli,
Like Mary Poppins’ magic bag
Spilling Ping Pong balls.
I wouldn’t want to be part of any club
That would have me as a member.
You don’t ask a butterfly to be a fish.
I keep getting grounded,
Every time I kiss you--
We were happy to be forgotten
Under the watchful eye of the great pine priest.
The earth was made round
So that we could not see too far down the road.
I want to be committed,
With a lion, a witch, and a wardrobe,
But I sneak past again and escape, westward.
Oh, when can I go back home?

Compiled by Colin Douglas









No comments:

Post a Comment