Friday, January 22, 2016

Poem for Endurance

Eyes That See, Ears That Hear

I see it before me
Looming over me
Its size dominates me
Blocks nearly all light
The surface is smooth
Leaving me no place to grasp
No footholds to climb
The darkness and ferocity of my foe
Mock my small human form

I am so tiny
My grip is too weak
My legs have carried me
More miles than I remember
They tremble with fatigue
Before this beastly monument

This wall was not on the map
I have adhered to it always
Mountains were scaled by me
I wandered in valleys
Appreciative of their beauty and ease
The straightaways – I sprinted
All were on the charted course

My map is true
My compass has not failed me
Yet there it sits before me –
Wrong
Ending my quest before I can complete it

I am so tiny
And this obstacle so large
My grip is too weak
And there is no place for my hand
My legs tremble and buckle beneath me
I cannot win

Tears bathe my face
And water the earth
With handfuls of mud
I furiously scrub at my palms
Slowly awareness breaks through

I marvel at the callouses that have
Replaced the soft flesh
Without my notice
I rub the mud up my arms
Noticing for the first time
The strength of the muscles and sinews
My crying abates
The wall is large and seemingly indomitable
But my will is steel
And my eyes sharp
My mind is keen

On quivering determined legs
I stand
And stare the obstruction down
It is still enormous and terrible
But no longer frightening

And then, from the top
I see it,
Hidden in the shadows,
Blocked from light,
A hand
Extending a length of rope
I hear a faint voice calling out
"Take it, and I'll help you over."

No comments:

Post a Comment